Monday 6 February 2012

Tango shoes and still more tango shoes




Great article by Angelina's Tango Blog

Why do women love shoes so much? Why do so many find it necessary to have more than one or two pairs of tango shoes? And why is the search for the perfect shoe never over? As a woman with only 12 pairs of tango shoes I can't answer any of these questions.
I love looking at, dreaming about and buying shoes - especially tango shoes. I have a shoe cupboard that takes up a whole wall in my bedroom and it is overflowing! I know a beautiful pair of shoes makes one feel special - and that when someone comments on your tango shoes you feel even more pleased!
An article in Psychology Today suggests it may have something with making a woman's legs look longer than her torso. Apparently "a person of average height (5ft 4in tall) was rated most attractive when their inside leg measurement was 30.5 in, which is 5% longer than the average leg measurement for a person that size.  In other, words you could be more attractive if you could lengthen your legs by a few inches..." and what better way to do this than in a pair of beautifully elegant high heels. 
TangoAustralia runs stories on tango dancing, music, tango teachers, milongas, tango etiquette and tango shoes - and it will be no surprise to know that the articles on tango shoes receive more visits than any other articles by far. 13,343 visits for the article on Buying tango shoes in Buenos Aires as I write this - and 10,857 for the Q&A on Where Can I Buy Tango Shoes?
Recently I have learnt of two new online tango shoe stores based in Australia - and one in the pipeline that is aiming to be the biggest and best and beat all the others with free shipping! There is even a web site for those who have made a mistake buying their tango shoes and want to onsell them! (This can happen when a tanguera asks a friend to buy her a pair on a trip to Buenos Aires, and it can be an expensive mistake as tango shoes are often between $150 and $250).
Why aren't I linking to any of the above-mentioned shoe stores you may wonder - especially if you are in the market for tango shoes. I would be delighted to if I felt there would be some support in return from the shoe stores - it is not that they haven't been asked. Why don't I set up my own online shoe store then? Well it's not that I haven't thought about it - my reluctance has something to do with not being left with unwanted stock piled up in the garage or under the house - something I have learnt about the hard way in retail.
I will watch this current surge in shoe stores online with some interest... as with any market place the cake is only a certain size and if too many arise their slices may become so small they cannot survive.
In the meantime if you want to find out more about tango stores - check out this blog which lists the tango shoe stores in Buenos Aires - and also the milongas, and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment